Lake Houston Conquerors Basketball Program
PARENT Code of Conduct:
1. I will certify my athlete’s eligibility by adhering to the following:
a. The State of Texas requirements as defined by the Leeper Law – read the details at https://thsc.org/homeschooling-in-texas/the-history-of-home-education-in-texas/
b. The National Christian Homeschool Championships (NCHC) – please go to nchclive.com/guidelines to review their rules
c. Ensuring that my child is passing in all subjects & notifying the coach if they are not passing
2. I will always encourage my child to abide by the team rules and program guidelines (see the Athlete Code of Conduct). If my child breaks the Athlete Code of Conduct, I will support the decisions made by their coach and/or the leadership of LHC to remedy the situation.
3. I will honor God and the LHC program with my conduct and behavior by demonstrating high personal standards and a Christ-like image to the players, other parents, officials, and coaches.
a. I will refrain from criticizing the coaches or instructing players from the sidelines.
b. I will remain under control during all games. I will not yell at my child, Conqueror players and/or coaches, or the opposing players, coaches or parents.
c. I will not express negative reactions (verbal or non-verbal) to poor officiating. I will strive to remember that the referees are only human and that rarely is the outcome of a game determined by a ‘bad call’.
d. I will not participate in jeering, booing, belittling players, manipulative intimidation (i.e. making noise during an opponent’s free throws), or boastful chanting
4. I understand and will abide by the LHC appeal process in accordance with Matthew 18:15-17.
a. If I have an issue with an individual, I will go to that person seeking resolution.
b. If we are not able to resolve the issue, I will speak with the individual and the coach or Basketball Director together.
c. If we are still unable to resolve the issue, I can send my written complaint (signed & dated) to the LHC President at P.O. Box 5018, Kingwood, TX 77325. The President will contact me to discuss the matter further.
d. If the issue still needs resolution, I will be allowed a limited time to present my issue(s) to the Board at the next scheduled meeting. The Board will make a final determination within (10) days. All Board decisions are final.
5. I acknowledge that LHC is a competitive basketball program and that playing time is at the sole discretion of the coach, based on his/her decisions as to what will make the team the most competitive. I understand that the coach isn’t obligated to explain how playing time is determined.
6. During or immediately following a game, I will refrain from approaching a coach with criticism. I will wait 24 hours for reflection and a cooling off period so a productive, calm discussion is more likely.
7. I will meet my financial obligations to the program in a timely manner.
8. Regarding LHC - I will not place any negative or inappropriate content on Facebook or any other social media. This includes the use of profanity, airing grievances with another parent/player/family/team, or any other content that does not reflect a Christ-like attitude.
9. I will maintain a servant’s attitude and volunteer, as needed, throughout the season (i.e. keep clock, scorebook, team manager, video/pics, stats, admissions table, etc.).
10. I understand that if I fail to abide by this code of conduct, the LHC governing body has the authority to ask my family to leave the program and no fees will be refunded.
ATHLETE Code of Conduct:
1. I will demonstrate the character quality of attentiveness by listening to the instructions of my coaches.
2. I will demonstrate the character quality of faithfulness by attending (to the best of my ability) all practices and games. I will show up on time, with proper equipment, and ready to play. If I will miss a practice or game, I will notify the coach ahead of time.
3. I will demonstrate the character quality of orderliness by abiding by the following dress code. The LHC dress code is designed to prevent provocative clothing that could cause another to stumble. If a player is in violation of the following guidelines, they will not be allowed to participate until the violation has been corrected.
a. No jewelry or watches will be worn during practices or games.
b. Maintain a clean-cut appearance during the season; no radical hairstyles or colors, no visible tattoos, and no visible body piercings.
Girls may have pierced ears but cannot wear earrings or hair hardware during practices or games.
c. Dress appropriately for all team events. Coaches will determine game attire.
i. Guys – shirt required, no cut or sideless shirts, no spandex shorts worn alone
ii. Girls – no tank tops or halters; no sheer or tight/form-fitting/spandex clothing, tube tops, mesh tops, or tops that reveal midriff when athlete’s arms are raised
iii. Shorts, skirts, and dresses must be at least mid-thigh in length.
iv. All undergarments must be covered; including sports or workout types.
** This dress code is not exhaustive and the LHC Board reserves the right to make a final determination of what dress is considered unsatisfactory. **
4. I will maintain a positive, teachable attitude no matter how much playing time I receive, how fair the officiating is or is not, and whether we win or lose. I will honor my teammates by submitting to the greater good of the team at the expense of my own ambitions.
5. I will demonstrate the character quality of respect by accepting the decisions of those in authority (coaches, parents, and referees) without argument, grumbling, or gesturing of any kind. I will respect each facility by picking up my trash before leaving.
6. I will seek to honor God and demonstrate the character quality of self-control by:
a. Not participating in the use of profane language, alcohol, tobacco, or drugs
b. Not jeering, booing, or belittling other players
c. Not participating in ridicule, manipulative intimidation (i.e. making noise during an opponent’s free throws), or boastful chanting
7. During all trips, practices, and games, I will keep my focus on basketball and avoid pairing off with a person of the opposite sex. I will also refrain from any public displays of affection. On a road trip, I will honor the curfew set by my coaches.
8. Regarding LHC – I will not place any negative or inappropriate content on Facebook or any other social media. This includes the use of profanity, airing grievances with another player/parent/family/team, or any other content that does not reflect a Christ-like attitude.
9. I will demonstrate the character quality of discipline by following the rules established by my team and the LHC program.